In case you haven’t heard, exercise is good for you – and not just for the reasons you might think. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are seven major benefits of regular exercise. They are:
1. Weight control – You no doubt already know that exercise burns calories, which allows you to eat more without gaining weight, or continue to eat the same amount of calories and actually lose weight. That’s what we call a win-win!
2. Disease prevention – You probably didn’t know that exercise boosts your “good” cholesterol and decreases triglycerides, a potent combination that helps keep heart disease and strokes at bay. Plus, regular exercise can help manage or prevent diseases including type 2 diabetes, cancer and even depression.
3. Mood enhancement – Exercise is nature’s anti-depressant – it releases chemicals in your brain that improve your mood. And being healthier and in better shape will likely boost your mood anyway!
4. Energy – Regular exercise improves your endurance, so you can do more and feel less tired doing it.
5. Sleep – Regular physical activity leads to deeper sleep, and as an extra bonus, it also helps you fall asleep faster.
6. Sex – No, it’s not just about looking better or having all that extra energy and stamina. Women who exercise regularly experience more intense arousal, and men who do have fewer problems with erectile dysfunction.
7. Fun – Choose an activity you like, like walking on the beach, playing tennis, even gardening – and exercise won’t be a chore. It will be something you actually look forward to doing every day!
Don’t stress about exercise – just get out there and do something that works for you. Your body will thank you for it!