Summer is here and with it comes heat and more heat. That means it’s really essential that we pay attention to staying hydrated.
Dehydration is a serious matter and nothing to mess around with. Seniors, children, and anyone with an acute or chronic medical condition are especially at risk.
What can you do?
If you have a medical condition, you will want to consult your doctor to see if there are any special considerations about the types and amounts of fluid you should drink.
All the rest of us have a little more flexibility. We just need to be certain we are drinking enough fluid to keep our bodies well hydrated so they can function the way they should.
Here are some fun ways to stay hydrated and keep the glass of _____ interesting!
- Freeze 100% fruit juice in ice cube trays and add a couple to your ice cold water or seltzer.
- Make fruit juice popsicles for the kids (and the kid in you!).
- Stash some washed, stemmed whole strawberries in the freezer to use as ‘ice cubes’ in your water bottle.
- Make a thin fruit smoothie using water, ice cubes, and a few pieces of frozen fruit such as strawberries, peaches, mango, pineapple, or melon.
- Squeeze a wedge of lemon and lime into your water bottle for a thirst-quenching pick-you-up.
- Sip, sip, sip!
Two words of caution --
- limit the caffeine as it works against you when you are trying to stay hydrated in the summer heat.
- limit high sugar drinks as they will actually make you more thirsty.
Enjoy your summer and stay hydrated!